MxCx Interview#33 "Mathlovsky"



Mathlovsky

https://mathlovsky.bandcamp.com/

A man truly in love with electronic music, Mathlovsky sees no need to divide but to unite all underground music.
Be it hardcore, drum n bass, breakcore, techno and even ambient music, Mathlovsky takes influence from all around the world, making his sound just that, his sound.
Not affected by hypes or fads, he continues to challenge himself and the crowd by creating many different outputs for his releases. Forever following his musical mantra; to destroy is to create, to create is to destroy. Seeking deep within for self-reflection and inspiration, the abyss stares back with no remorse.




Q.
Please tell us about your birthplace and your age.
Where are you living now?

I'm 28 years old at the moment and i was raised in Maldegem, Belgium. 
A big town but small mentality. When i was in my teens there were metalshows and drum n bass parties but then it suddenly stopped for some reason. Made some good friends though, one of the only positive things about that place.
My current residence is in the suburbs of Gent. Really my kind of city because every style of music i love is present and there's a huge netwerk of very talented musicians.

Q.
Since when are you interested in music? What kind of music scene was there in your hometown?

I really got the itch for music when i was around 10 years old and i saw a Korn music video on MTV. It made me realise that's what i want to do for the rest of my life. Make music, art, just being creative.
When i grew up there was a small but dedicated metal and punk scene and the local drum n bass crew threw the occasional party. Had alot of fun playing in my first band and jamming with my friends in our houses or the local squats.

Q.
Since when are you making music? What was the opportunity?

I got my first instrument when i was 12, my first acoustic guitar. Quickly switched to a crappy electric because i soon realized that distorted riffs were the way to go for me at that age.
Since then i've been learning multiple instruments untill i'm satisfied at the level of playing i'm at and then on to the next. 

Q.
Where the most inspirational club / live house / record shop when you was a teenager?

Probably what formed me the most, electronic music wise, was Steegske in Gent and Entrepot in Bruges. Lots of parties, lots of sleepless nights.

Q.
Belgium is famous for Techno and underground Acid/Breakcore scenes. Are you affected by them? Did you go to a Breakcore party like "Breakcore Gives Me Wood"?

I take inspiration from all my surroundings and mold it into my own. My first breakcore party was when i was 16 and it changed my whole outlook on life. It made me realize i didnt have to be a 'metalhead' or a 'punk' or whatever. Just do what you want and it's all good. I also had the pleasure to have performed at several WOOD parties. Was crazy for me to be on the line up ten years later with artists i have been raving to for ten years you know. I'm happy to say some are what i can call friends now.



Q.
When did you start "Dr. Mathlovsky"? What is the origin of the name?
What is the 1st release of Dr. Mathlovsky?

Mathlovsky is a name i came up with when i was 17 because i was really into Russian history and i just made it up as a Russian version of my real name 'Mathieu'. My first release was in 2010 and was a 4-track EP of some metal tracks i made. When i wanted to come out with my electronic music i put the Doctor in front of it because i believed i needed to make different aliases for my music but it has been just Mathlovsky since 2016 for all my projects. No more doctor because i believe my creations dont need to be put into different categories if it's all coming from the same inspirational place inside my head.

Q.
You have made a lot of Corssbreed. Where did you feel charm in Crossbreed?

The hardcore drum n bass movement around 2009 really resonated with me, you had the power of hardcore techno but with the funky breakbeats of drum n bass. Sadly it lost its power around 2013 when it became a characteristic kind of beat and everything sounded the same. I was really feeling the creative flow when it first came out but since then i have entered so many different realms of music, crossbreed isnt in my mind anymore. I do enjoy hearing the occasional track from the 2009-2012 era. Reminds me of good times.

Q.
Mathlovsky released an album / EP from Peace Off, Industrial Strength Records, Noisj. Nl LTD, Murder Channel,etc. What is the most impressive work?

I treasure every release i ever released on all the labels i worked with. Some i have more pleasant memories than others but there's no need in namedropping or in shaming. I have around 63 releases on my name, in solo stuff, collabs or in service of other artists.I am proud and happy with every single one of them because even though it might not make me nod my head anymore, it brought me to other countries to perform and can not forget the occasional fan mail you get if you release music.


Q.
You have also made experimental electronic music using analog equipment in recent years. It's veryy interesting and unique sound and approach.
Why did you become like the style now?

My workflow changed completely since i've started doing live sets since 2016. I dont make dj friendly music anymore, unless they want a challenge, because i compose in service of my own live set now. I use the octatrack to trigger loops and hits out of my entire discography. Every set is a bit different so that makes it fun, all improvised aswell. Mostly i just plan the opening synth and beat and then rest is all freestyle. So when i'm writing i just make the track work on its own, no more restrictions of using typical compositions so djs can mix them with other tracks. Guess you can say, my sets are more band like now with all the tempo changes and different styles than like most djs. Did have a lot of fun doing dj sets but my focus and priorities has changed.



Q.
Please tell me the process of making your songs. What equipment do you use recently?

I combine the analog world (using my modular, ms20, guitars,..) with the digital world by recording the analog sounds and refining them through digital processes. Any track can have its own starting point, mostly its the beat that forms the track.
I always have the feeling for the rythmic stuff first and then i begin flesh it out.

Q.
About your album "Nihilism Will Set Us Free LP". Does the album have a concept? What is the meaning of artwork?

The artwork is a collage i made from a picture when i was in the hospital. Some dudes beat me up at a party and that was the picture after my surgery. With the title i was feeling like, lets use my beat up face for album title this brutal.
For me the artwork and music is about freedom of being. Nothing really matters, just choose for yourself what you want to do.



Q.
Do you have any artist whom you respect or favorite musician in recent music scene? What do you think of current Belgian music scene? Who is your favorite Belgian artist now?

Death grips is one of my all time favorite bands since 2012 when my guitarplayer of the time introduced me to them. I like the 'dont give a fuck' way of mixing their tracks, just make it punch your speakers and its all good.
Belgian music is very diverse and to say my favorite is impossible. I'd rather say some names that i worked with or i'm a fan of. 
Check out Vonnis, Barst, Witch Trail, Gloeilamp, VVOVNDS, Soul Grip, Lustrous, Despoilah, Charnia, Monnik, Innerwoud, Kuar Nhial, Audiotist, Headkick, Rumours, Onmens, Big Whoop, Amazumi, Carrion, i probably forgot some but i'm not good with names

Q.
What kind of music expression do you want to do in the future?

I'm working on a special project at the moment with some guest vocalists (release date: april 2019) and i have a new band called 'Kuar Nhial' wich is a combination of black metal, desert rock and some electronics involved. Just to say in general;push my music and art even further and do this until my body is dead.

Q.
Please give the message to the reader.

Thanks to anyone who ever gave a fuck and keep on doing your own thing.