Stazma The Junglechrist "10 Years Of Breaking Things" Selfliner Notes




INTRO


You have in your hand a time traveling machine in the form of two cds. As 2018 was the 10th anniversary of my musical project; Stazma The Junglechrist, I wanted to celebrate this with everyone, by offering a big testimony of what I did during that time. Both Cds travel thought time from the early days of sample based mash-ups, to the recent, more melodic productions largely based on analog synthesizers.
The first CD takes all my favorite tracks from my many Eps on many labels, such as, of course, Peace Off, but also Structural Damage, Cunt Gang, Acroplane, BRK, PRSPCT and Murder Channel.
The second is a compilation of tracks from compilations, remixes and other apearences on other peoples records. It has been a long time that I have wanted to make something like this and finally these tracks can be found in one place.
So here it is for you, a time travel from 2008 to 2018. Jungle, IDM, Hardcore, Gabber, Dub, Grindcore, Acid, Surf Rock, Punk and more, often having dirty sex together. 30 tracks (makes even more sense as I just turned 30 myself at the end of 2018) of no rules applied music. I had tremendous fun writting and performing these pieces of noise, in the studio and on stage, I hope you will have fun listening to them as well. See you on the road soon !


10 Years Of Breaking Things


Rudyz Breaking The Dancehall [POFF KC 07]
So this one was the first thing ever to get released from me. It was Rotator who asked me for it after he found it on Myspace. When I listen to it today I hear all the mistakes of sample cutting, unwanted distortions etc, but also I still smile at how much fun it was compiling that many samples from different styles into one song. This track is made of 99% of samples I would say this is the opposite of what I do today.

Coconuts and Cocaine [POFF DIGIT 01]
The Lucky Strike Ep was named like this because I felt lucky I ended up releasing music on one of my favorite labels, Peace Off, and also I was happy to be the first of the digital series. This Ep had no real concept except of being fun, it resulted in this track, which is one of the very few I consider to be a “happy” song, so it deserved to get in there.

Your Computer Is Under Arrest [ACPR021]
I have always liked to use 303 style sounds in my tracks. For me the mix of jungle beats with acid is one of the thing that make me want to run on top a mountain, or dance for hours completely losing my mind.. This Ep was one of the first that was really based on the influences of Aphex Twin and Squarepusher.

Drunken DSP [POFF LTD 25]
I remember being super happy when Rotator told me he wanted me to make a vinyl for Peace Off, which would be my first solo release. Back then I was a quite angry at everything and I guess you can feel it, it is clearly the most violent record I ever did. Even tho this track is not the most violent of the Ep it is maybe the one that defined my music the best, a very good resume of what Stazma was at that time and still is today.

Apocalypse with Le Crabe feat. Mike Redman [BRK-vin-02]
We met with Le Crabe in Lyon in BRK party, his liveset was something very different, more punk, than what I had seen in the scene before, with lots of Hip-Hop and Noise influences. I guess we just got along well that day and we stayed in touch. As I really liked his voice and lyrics I asked him to collaborate with me a few times, but this was the first time we really planned a whole release together. I sent that track to Mike (Deformer) while he was recording in a studio, and he offered to get on board, which turned out very well. It makes total sense that it was released by our friend at BRK.

Allergic Itching [MURCD-040]
With Itch I started to find a new way to express myself, in less violent, but more complex and melodic compositions. I really like to go back to it, I was really trying out a lot of new techniques, it was also the start of my love story with analog synthesizers, with heavy use of my Moog Sub Phatty and Xoxbox in all the tracks.

Re-Compiled


Jungle Destroyer [OFJ002]
For me real Jungle must be something hard and full of energy. I think most of my Jungle oriented tracks are always too Breakcore but how I like it, I have a hard time keeping my focus on one style for a full four minutes of music.

Gameboy Physical Destruction - Planet 93 (Stazma The Junglechrist Too Many Dead Punxxx Remix) [JXFBits #5]
This was my intro tracks for a long time when I was playing live. Gameboy Physical Destruction is a band I met in Lyon when I arrived and am really good friends with Johan (guitarist / singer). This remix was very fun to do as it was one of the first time I remixed something that was not purely electronic from the start. Messing up distorted guitars and screaming vocals has always been a passion.

Gore Tech - Heretic (Stazma The Junglechrist Beauty in Violence Remix) [POFF DIGIT 23]
My homie Gore Tech is one of my generation, I'm really a fan of his super dark and twisted approach to Drum & Bass. This remix mixes a lot of my influences, from pounding UK Hardcore to 90s IDM, and a touch of Industrial Metal; it was super fun to incorporate all this with Gore Tech sounds.

Melt.Spc [MR.CD.02]
I made this track for a label who asked me to contribute to a compilation. As it was clearly a Hardcore Techno oriented label I decided to go full UK Hardcore for it, mostly for the fun of it. It was a sort of self challenge.

Metalworker [GHZ-005]
This one is also clearly a super mix of influences. I had ton of fun trying to stay in a junglistic area while adding guitars, screams and acid. For the records this is me screaming and playing the guitar on this one, no samples here !

Enduser - Shut Down [Stazma Acid Shower Remix] [STDigi018]
I first met Lynn when he was touring with Bong-Ra in 2011 for the 10 years of Ad Noiseam. I was driving them from Bordeau to Lyon, it was quite a fun ride ! We stayed in touch after and played a lots of show together. With the remix I packed all that makes my style and tried to combine that with his, trying to keep the original vibes with a new twist.