10 things about Japanese culture(Behind the Geist Fiber) by Gore Tech


Our friend "Gore Tech" has released a new album "Geist Fiber" from Ohm Resistance.
This album has the most cyberpunk sound and worldview in the modern electronic music scene. The hybrid style is based on Drum'n'Bass and mixed Punk, Techno and Doom. Of course, his basic Breakcore mentality is also reflected.

In this article, Gore Tech wrote about the Japanese culture that influenced for "Geist Fiber".



1. Ikeuchi Product

I became aware of his work through various online cyberpunk art communities a couple of years ago, then more recently you posted a picture of one my postcards from my last album next to one of his headsets in your shared studio. I knew then that I might have a chance of getting in contact for some art for Geist Fibre. He emailed back and gave me blessings to use some of his work from his 'Ready Made' collection. His work is exquisite I love how imaginative and detailed his sets are given they're fully functional. One day I can see me owning one of his units in a glass cabinet here in my studio for inspiration. I also love his dioramas as well.


2. Katsuhiko Otomo

The undisputed godfather of science-fiction manga. I read the original manga when I was in collage in England and fell in love with the depth of the story, I've since been blessed to have seen the original subtitled version of Akira in Manchester's Corner House for the 25th Anniversary of the film. I still watch it once every two or three months. His later work with 'Short Peace' is equally spellbinding.  

3. Tsutomu Nihei

Tsutomu Nihei's work has got under my skin in a way I never thought possible, I was sent some of his work by a friend in the UK. BLAME! Is a perfect symbiosis of brutalist architecture, surrealism, and cyber-gothic character design. It leaves you with more questions than answers as a good story should. there's so little dialogue in the entire series it leaves you filling in all the gaping blanks. It's a masterpiece. I went out and immediately bought Abara, and Biomega too. Total Alice In Wonderland meets H.R Giger, I look forward to the collaboration between Billain, 1000 toys and TOA Heavy Industries. Exciting times ahead.

4. Ghost in The Shell

This film had a massive impact on me when I first watched it. The original trans-humanist cyber-punk odyssey of discovery, I loved the 1996 anime, it's still one of my all time favourite films and Innocence as well. I really appreicate the time focused on the philosophical elements of the series as in what it is to be human. The track 'Thermoptics' was themed on the juxtaposition of feelings experienced by the Major, specifically her coming to understand what it is to be a human.  other notable  Masamune Shirow productions - Dominion Tank Police and Ninja Scroll excellent story telling.

5. Japanese Breakcore(Ove-NaXx, Maruosa, DJ Scotch Egg, etc)

Where do I start!, I actually saw DJ Scotch Egg on his Wrong Music Takeover at Bangface this last weekend, just as fresh as when I first went to Belgium aged 19 and saw him play with Ove-NaXx at the Osaka Invasion, I also have the Maruosa 10" on KRISS here in my collection too. Breakcore was born out of the Internet, it's the only music scene that didn't come from an area or City. As such the Japanese have been at the forefront of Breakcore from it's very start. Thanks -in part- to labels like Murder Channel for representing the international styles to the Japanese audiences and exporting their acts across the world.

6. Murder Channel("From The Earth To The Skyscrapers")

Very proud of this album, it still seems to do well, it was more of a compilation than a cohesive album as it's the only work I've completed that wasn't based around some sort of concept but it has a lot of energy, I would love to go back and re-build some of the tracks on the album with what I know now about music production. But that's part of the charm I suppose. Great ideas, not so well executed. Maybe if I cleaned them up they'd lose the punk vibes. Massive artwork by the awesome Futurog / Shift. Arigato Murder Channel!

7. Hideo Kojima

This one man supernatural cyber-naught is something of a legend to me, I played Metal Gear Solid to death as a kid and then later Metal Gear Solid Sons of Liberty with its stark warning of the future as an ending (no spoilers) I was captivated. I've followed his work through Silent Hill (though these were way too scary for me, I'm not afraid to admit :) ) But his latest work 'Death Stranding' has me excited all over again the same way I was excited for MGS. More supernatural existentialism, not a common theme in most mainstream media but Kojima manages to keep coming at it from various angles.

8. The Mad Capsule Markets

Gone but not forgotten, I have been listening to them again recently, my only regret was not buying their merch and vinyls as it's worth a bomb these days. Sadly I never got to see them play live but [Mad Capsule Markets] had a massive impact on me, They really took the DHR / Punk vibe and ran with it. Favourite tracks, Restart! and Chaos Step. RIP MCM

9. Merzbow

No list of Japanese creative pioneers would be complete without mentioning Merzbow. Pulse Demon was my first introduction to his work when I was younger. I still like to use a lot of discordant noise in my own production, I put this down to listening to Masami's music. I was fortunate enough to be involved with the team at Cold Spring in bringing Merzbow to Manchester to record a special live album with drummer Balazs at the legendary FAC251 in 2016.  

10. Pigma Pens

Japan has the best pens, I use Pigma pens for all of my illustrations (Sponsorship welcome ;)

Gore Tech