Learn about 'Gypsy Core'



Do you know Gypsy core?

It is a style that mixed traditional Roma music of Serbia, Greece, Romania, Macedonia, Turkey (such as Tallava, čoček, Chifuteteli, Pop Fork, Polka Folk & All Balkans Peninsula music) with Breakcore, Jungle, Hardcore. A style specialized for dance combining high speed Amen Break and Gabba Kick with Clarinet, Violin, Darubukka, Accordion, Traditional vocals.  Gypsy core is creating a very cheerful and powerful sound. It has popularity at underground RAVE and parties.

Although the origin of the Gypsy core is unclear, I think that the Freddy Frogs's label "Frogs" is the prototype of the Gypsy core. They released a hybrid truck that mixed traditional samples with Tekno / Tribe, Jungle. And on the Breakcore side, I think that Doormouse's "I ♥ Polka" and DJ Balli's Italian folk core style are also important.
In recent years, Gypsy core coalesced with Hardtek and produced the style of "Balkantek". And it attracts many people.

This article interviewed the important artists of the Gypsy core scene. With their story you can see the essence of the Gypsy core.



Audiotist
https://soundcloud.com/audiotist
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Audiotist/149554978425092?ref=hl


Q.
When did you learn about "Gypsy  core"?

Years ago, before I was making breakcore or whatever, I went to a party called ‘From Dub till core’ on a boat in Gent. I had downloaded Ed Cox from Kazaa or something, and he was playing on that Boat. Ed Cox probably falls under Clowncore, but that was the start of my appreciation for jungle rave rhythms mixed with these awesome instruments like accordeon. That set made me so happy, and to this day I love seeing Ed Cox play live sets!

Q.
What do you think is the creator or release that made the first format of "Gypsy core"?

I’m not really sure about this one. For me personally it started with Ed cox. Before that I listened to Cardiak and Dr Peacock a lot ! Later on, I found Fexomat’s music and Ringe Raja Records. There is some really great music on there. Wan Bushi and E-Coli also have some very nice happy tunes. Worth checking out !

Q.
Please tell us your Top 5 of Gypsy core song.

I’m not really up to date, so I’ll just name the first ones that I remember.

Ed Cox - Clown Fi Get Murked
Fexomat - The wonder drug
Figcake - Fingerbang
Cardiak - Le Bretonnerie
Dr Peacock - Trip to Ireland

Q.
What do you think about the current Gypsy core?

I love what Ed Cox and E-coli are doing together, respect for such an awesome live set together. There’s not that many live sets or dj’s with this kind of genre. But every time I hear one, I’m feeling it. So I can only hope it stays around for a long while. And if not…I have a project with Wan Bushi called ‘Circus Brekovic’ , and we’re having fun with that. Remixing Goran Bregovic and other lesser known legends, and composing silly tunes together. So there is more to come!

Q.
What is the appeal of Gypsy core for you?

I have always loved orchestra bands from Belgium. Especially L’orchestre du vetex !! And lots of eastern European music. Listened to lots of Balkan, Ska, brazzbands,… So I guess it is the positivity of that swinging vibe of the instruments, combined with some nice gabber kick, trashy breaks, or just clean jungle breakbeat stuff,.. It doesnt really matter. I’ll like it anyway. It’s a perfect combo for me, but of course it’s the instruments that make it what it is. Awesome dancing partying music that makes you smile.


Ed Cox
https://www.facebook.com/edcoxlife4land/
https://edcox1.bandcamp.com/


Q
When did you learn about "Gypsy  core"?

I never went into anything learning about gypsycore,, For me gypsycore is traditional gypsy and balkan remixed with hard electronic dance music ,, nobody i knew made anything like that ,, at the time i first heard fast traditional gypsy music i could hear the hardcore remix in the background (in my head) , i made a few tracks in this style but i then began to develop clowncore, which is less sample based, and for me more satisfying to produce..

Q.
What do you think is the creator or release that made the first format of "Gypsy core"?

im sure lots of people have experimented remixing traditional gypsy music with electronic music for years, i really can not say who did it first,  i didnt know of anyone before me ,but im definatley not saying i was the first to do it..

Q.
Please tell us your Top 5 of Gypsy core song.

Hahahah i cant choose,, although  e-coli,katch pyro and freddy frogs are some of my favorite gypsy core producers!

Q.
What do you think about the current Gypsy core?

I feel like it is about to flourish, it hasnt been fully developed yet and i think there is room for some really good tunes.

Q.
What is the appeal of Gypsy core for you?

i think gypsy core has great energy on the dancefloor, as it is essentially a fusion made of 2 high energy genres.. also i beleieve that when producers work with tradional music it connects people that wouldnt normally have listened to hard dance music..


E-Coli
https://soundcloud.com/e-coli
https://www.facebook.com/ecolimusic

Q
When did you learn about "Gypsy  core"?


I came across gypsycore from artists like Ed Cox, Freddy Frogs, the Life4Land label etc, and not long after started Ringe Raja Recirds which became the home of the sound.

Q.
Please tell us your Top 5 of Gypsy core song.

Ed Cox - Lonely Clown
Wan Bushi - Crazy Accordion Conny Bitch
Fexomat - Petrosnizza
Katch Pyro - Give me your tears gypsy
Figcake - Balkan Caravan

Q.
What do you think about the current Gypsy core?

Not many people are making it these days, I don't really have much of the 'core' to my sound anymore I usually make more tekno style. There are still some interesting tunes coming out though.

Q.
What is the appeal of Gypsy core for you?

I like the danceable melodies entwined with the hardcore beats, the contrast is what makes the sound so different.


Fexomat
https://soundcloud.com/fexomat
https://soundcloud.com/ringe-raja-records


Q
When did you learn about "Gypsy  core"?


I started to produce Gypsycore when DJ Sickhead introduced me to Balkan music around 2005. He gave me a bunch of tunes, ranging from gypsy vocal chants to trumpet bands, so we (NSF - Neurotic Sound Foundation) started to remix or sample them.

A couple of years later, DJ Sickhead and I made the decision to launch Ringe Raja Records - a platform for everything world-music-core related.

Q.
What do you think is the creator or release that made the first format of "Gypsy core"?

I think Ed Cox’s Clowncore was the first thing that had the vibe.

Q.
Please tell us your Top 5 of Gypsy core song.

Too many - everything on RRR :)

Q.
What do you think about the current Gypsy core?

I am glad that more people are into this sound now. It got a bit quiet on our label, since I just don’t have the time to concentrate on it, but we still have a couple of tunes in the pipeline to release.

Q.
What is the appeal of Gypsy core for you?

It’s extremely good party music. Fun, silly, hard and experimental :)


Wan Bushi
https://wanbushi.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/wanbushimusic


Q
When did you learn about "Gypsy  core"?


I'm not sure where I discovered the term gypsy core. I think it was both thanks to Fexomat and E-Coli who both were producing or mixing gypsy with harder electronic music. But one of my own tracks, crazy accordeon conny bitch (https://soundcloud.com/wan-bushi/wan-bushi-crazy-accordeon) is actually a very old gypsy core track. So I did make gypsy core before I even heard of it :)

Q.
What do you think is the creator or release that made the first format of "Gypsy core"?

I will credit the Ringe Raja records label (https://soundcloud.com/ringe-raja-records) for being the first label to focus only on this music style. Before there was no one releasing only gypsy core. But the idea of mixing balkan with electronic sounds is of course not new. Even here in my hometown there were dj's called the Balkan Hotseppers (https://soundcloud.com/balkan_hotsteppers) who mixed balkan with techno, house, drum'n'bass or hardcore since 2006.

Q.
Please tell us your Top 5 of Gypsy core song.

In no particular order and because I can only pick 5 :

Ludwik Zamenhof - Balkan Glitch Step
Audiotist - the filthy drummer
Dr. Peacock - Trip to Ireland
C3B x General Waste - Lek It Kho
Figcake - Balkan Caravan

Q.
What do you think about the current Gypsy core?

There are more people doing gypsy core then before which is good. But it's not always easy to find them. I wish there was a full catalog with all the gypsy core releases. From yesterday and from current times.

Q.
What is the appeal of Gypsy core for you?

It's hard music with a smile. It's just pure happiness and pure fun. In a world where everything must be so serious it's a great to have something different for a change.